Sunday, January 20, 2008

Arrival on O'ahu

Emily and I flew Alaska Air and Melanie flew Hawaiian, but we all arrived within a few minutes of each other. Mom and dad were there to great us with beautiful orchid leis. We visited for a bit and then Melanie and Emily went with their dad Joe up to North Shore and we headed to Kaneohe, via Costco of course - had to get some of my local treats.

As soon as I step off the plane in Hawaii I still remember the first time I stepped off, June 15, 1969 - the warm humid air that makes you almost melt and the fragance of the flowers in bloom. Of course, back in the good old days you were served cold pineapple juice and given a lei and a kiss.

One of the first days on O'ahu I headed up to Malaekahana Beach where the girls were staying in a yurt. Mom and dad came up for a short visit, then I spent the night and we went to North Shore the next day and layed in the sun and swam in the warm tropical sea. And only in Hawaii would you see a rooster just playing around at the beach.

2 comments:

Molly Malia said...

that made me cry! man i wish i was back on the beach on days like today... we got 2 feet of snow!

betsy said...

gotta love those roosters!